Welcome and Helpful Information
The duties and responsibilities of the office of Tax Commissioner are many and varied, but our main function is to serve you, the citizens of Macon County. This site has been prepared to help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a property owner. I hope it will be of value to you.
I have attempted to answer frequently asked questions and provide general information regarding taxation in Macon County. Please remember that this website cannot cover the many and complex laws and should not be relied on as a legal source of information.
Whether you are a new or longtime resident in our county, my goal is to fulfill my responsibility as Tax Commissioner in a fair and equitable manner. Please feel free to contact this office if you have any questions on the information addressed on this site.
Rhonda Respress, Tax Commissioner
News and Announcements
- Generally, Macon County property taxes are due by mid-December. If taxes are not paid on the property, it may be levied upon and ultimately sold.
- County Offices are closed on most major holidays.
- Tax Commissioner’s Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Macon County only accepts payments in cash, personal checks, money orders or cashier’s checks.
- Georgia Sales Tax must be paid on all trailers over 2,000 pounds. purchased outside the State of Georgia prior to registration of the vehicle.
- The Tax Commissioner issues permits for disabled persons. Visit our office for an application.
This website provides links to certain third-party websites as a convenience to users. Third party linked sites are not under the control of Macon County. The County is not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. If any of these links fail to work, please Contact Us and let us know.