Elections and Voter Registration
Voter Registration is a county function. Prior to voting in an election in Macon County, you must be a registered voter.
Macon County is committed to ensuring that the registration process is provided to all eligible residents in accordance with applicable laws and regulations in the most efficient, effective and timely manner.
To register to vote in the state of Georgia, you must be:
- A citizen of the United States
- A legal resident of Georgia and of the county in which you wish to vote
- At least 18 years of age by election day
Also, you may not register to vote if you are currently:
- Serving any sentence imposed by the conviction of a felony
- Judicially determined to be mentally incompetent
In the state of Georgia, you do not have to register by political party to vote in regular primaries or general elections.
You may register to vote at any time, but you must be registered by the close of registration prior to an election if you wish to vote on election day, i.e., the application must be postmarked by the voter registration deadline. If you are not registered to vote, register today.
If you are registering for the first time in Georgia, and you register by mail, you are required to provide one of the following acceptable forms of identification by mailing a copy or providing a copy during the absentee voting period.
- Georgia driver's license, even if it's expired.
- Valid state or federal government issued photo ID, including one issued by the Department of Driver Services or your county registrar's office.
- Valid U.S. passport.
- Valid employee photo ID from any branch, department, agency, or entity of the U.S. Government, Georgia or any county, municipality, board, authority or other entity of this state.
- Valid U.S. military photo ID.
- Valid Tribal photo.
Precinct cards are mailed within two to three weeks of submitting your voter registration application. If you do not receive your precinct card, please contact the board of registrar's office to check the status.
The Macon County Board of Elections Office recommends to county residents that they check out a special feature of the Georgia Secretary of State website called "MVP" or "My Voter Page."
A simple log-in process helps you access vital information for voting in Georgia including, among other things, your voter registration status, your polling location, sample ballots for upcoming elections, and locations for early voting.