Macon County Georgia

Board of Commissioners' Office
121 South Sumter Street
Oglethorpe, Georgia 31068

Motor Vehicles

The Tax Commissioner is responsible for the registration of motor vehicles and the collection of all registration fees, taxes and penalties specified by Georgia law. Ad valorem taxes, if due, are collected when the vehicle is registered.

Macon County does not mail out motor vehicle renewal notices; however, if you call the office (with your tag numbers) to get your renewal amount you may mail it in along with a self-addressed stamped envelope and the office staff will promptly mail your registration back to you.

Vehicle registration renewals can be made 30 days prior to the birth date of the primary owner when owned by an individual, or the last day of the month when owned by a business. Tag numbers of each vehicle to be renewed are always required when calling the office for a price; renewing in person; or renewing by mail.

The penalty for late registration is 10 percent of the tax ($5 minimum) and 25 percent of the tag fee. These penalties begin immediately following the due date. Individuals whose birthday fall on a weekend, holiday, or any other day when the normal hours of the office operation is interrupted, will have the next business day to r3enew the registration without being penalized.

All cancellations of vehicle registrations must be done in person-either by the owner or a person designated by the owner. The tag number is also required for this process.

When processing a title transfer, the owner (person who is titling the vehicle) must appear in person with either a valid Georgia driver’s license or a Georgia Identification card and have valid Georgia based insurance.

Please note that vehicles new to the State and newly-acquired vehicles must be registered within 30 days of the day you move to Georgia or the day you purchase the vehicle, respectively.

Out-of-state tags expire 30 days after you move to Georgia, regardless of the date shown on the tag. Only two exceptions: non-resident military personnel and full-time college students.

The Tax Commissioner’s Office only accepts cash, checks, and money orders as methods of payment for tag renewals. We ask that all checks include at least two current phone numbers if applicable as a point of contact.

Drivers License Information

Contact the Georgia Department of Driver Services for drivers license information.