The Macon County Zoning Commission is responsible for reviewing and making recommendations on rezoning cases, preliminary subdivision plans and zoning ordinance amendments.
This commission and a staffed zoning administrator was created by county ordinance and serves as advisors to the Board of Commissioners on matters pertaining to development, planning and zoning.
To serve as a member of this five-member commission, you must be a resident of Macon County for at least five years; have a high school diploma or GED equivalent, and pass a criminal background check. Zoning commission members cannot hold public office and must agree to be disqualified to act upon a matter before the zoning commission with respect to property in which the member has an interest.
Members are appointed to four year terms on a staggered basis.
The responsibilities of this commission include:
- Adoption of amendments which changes the text of the ordinance (Text Amendment).
- Adoption of amendments which rezone property from one zoning classification to another. (Map Amendment).
- Procedural requirements for amendments sponsored by the Macon County Board of Commissioners.
- Procedural requirements for amendments sponsored by a property owner or agent
The zoning administrator administers county zoning regulations and requirements in cooperation with the Macon County Zoning Commission and the Macon County Board of Commissioners.
The Zoning Administrator:
- Serves as Administrative Secretary to the Zoning Commission.
- Establishes a system with which to maintain public records concerning the administration of this ordinance, including all maps, amendments, certificates of zoning compliance, conditional uses, variances, records of public hearings, other records relevant hereto, and see that such records and documents are maintained in current status.
- Issues certificates of zoning compliance for all permitted uses, for conditional uses and variances recommended by the Zoning Commission and approved by the Macon County Board of Commissioners.
- Collects data and keep informed on matters of zoning administration and practice in order to make sound recommendations to the Zoning Commission.
- Undertakes other duties as may from time to time be delegated or assigned by the Macon County Board of Commissioners.